Addiction is a brain disease that affect lots of lives around the world. Addiction is more complex than most people realize.
For each person who is suffering from addiction, they have peculiar needs so this means their mode of treatment is distinct.
There are some addicts who do not want to commence addiction treatment and the reason for this is because, they do not know what to expect.
For addicts who are recovering, it could be a complex process for them, this is why it is important to provide as much ample information as possible.
There are various strategies that can be employed to proficiently treat an individual, and they have been grouped into five broad stages:
- Pre-contemplation: This is the stage where addicts are yet to admit that they are addicted. During this phase, they have faced lots of problems due to their addiction, but they are unaware that they have a problem.
So what they would do typically, is to avoid any talk that has to do with an addiction. Once these individuals have been convinced to believe that they have a problem, they move on to the next phase.
- Contemplation: During this stage, the addicts are aware that they have a problem, and they are being schooled on the origin of their addiction. They do not know how to move forward at this stage, so they need the help of counselors to help them make the right decision.
- Preparation: This is the phase where they take the bold step. They can either decide to take the oath of abstinence or they get admitted into a rehab. The preparation phase prepares them for life after addiction recovery. A life where they would be completely sober.
- Action: The action phase is regarded as the basis for long-term soberness. They have already been admitted at a rehab facility and recovery is already in motion. This is the point where a sense of accomplishment is built.
- Maintenance: This phase is often overlooked and it would interest you to know that it is arguably the most important phase.
During this stage, there is a likely chance that recovering addicts would be tempted to resume their addiction. So, they need to adapt to structures in place set by rehab facilities to make sure it does not happen.